Building Restoration & Design
In Calgary, Alberta building restoration has become more of a concern given recent damages caused by lack of maintenance.
Many buildings have suffered a considerable loss to their structural and envelope components as a result of poor initial construction or as a natural byproduct of ageing.
It is often cheaper to make repairs rather than replacing the property, and in the case of historical or cultural buildings, demolition is not an option.
We support our commercial, industural and residential clients with the expertise required to assess a building’s structural and envelope system.
This provides them with the information they need to move forward in their Restoration Project on time. Sometimes this includes remedial design services.
- Non-Destructive or Destructive Investigations – to determine the extent of damaged systems/assemblies and the location of structural members and reinforcement.
- Determination of wall/roof/foundation construction.
- Design of structural repair and reinforcement.
- Design of air, vapour, and thermal barrier systems – with appropriate consideration given to mass masonry walls. (Masonry buildings require a specialized approach to ensure proper insulation and water vapour transport. Orata is equipped to design with these specifications in mind.)
- Design of installation details for fenestration (windows/doors).
Typical restoration projects have three major phases:
During this phase, Orata Engineering will review all available data for the building (plans, maintenance records, repair records, etc.) and perform detailed site inspections, which may include both destructive and non-destructive investigation.
CONSULTATION & DESIGN
This is a collaborative process, during which Orata discusses the findings of the investigation with clients and determines the scope of remedial work to be completed. The end result is a completed design for construction.
During the construction phase, Orata Engineering will provide inspection services to ensure that our remedial design(s) are being appropriately installed.
Work with an Expert today!
If you would like to learn more about Orata Engineering and our full selection of services, including Building Restoration & Design, contact us today! As Calgary’s premier envelope engineers, we are happy to answer all of your questions.
Submit your assignment
Our Engineering Experts can assess your Structural and/ or Envelope System and provide you with remedial design services if required. Tell us about your restoration.
BEYOND THE COURT OF LAW From the beginning, people associated the term “Forensics” with the court of law. However, over time it has become linked to Forensic Engineering and Forensic Science. The word forensics comes from the Latin word forensis, which means “of or...